Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, March 29, 2010

Colic Calm - the slayer of the gas!

There are certain things that you just don't want to run out of as a parent of an infant - diapers, formula, caffeine (for those late nights) and...Colic Calm. 

I know this will probably sound like an advertisement through testimonial but I can't help talk about the wonders of Colic Calm.  Colic is a word that has been used for a long time when it comes to babies.  It used to be (and, in a way, still is) a way to describe a baby who cries inconsolobly for hours on end, days on end.  But doctors are learning that, a lot of babies that were diagnosed as "colicky babies" are actually babies suffering from reflux or painful gas.  I believe this to be true about H.  She has had gas and reflux since birth, although MUCH better since breastfeeding stopped.

Since switching her to soy formula, I have tried many things to further help her immature digestive system feel even better.  The doc has her on Prevacid for her reflux, which seems to work wonders.  I switched her from Infamil formula to Similac to see if that helped improve her belly - and it did seem to.  I also decided to try a completely natural, FDA approved homeopathic supplement called Colic Calm.  It has natural ingredients that help gas build up, irregularity and tummy pains.  And is designed with infants in mind.

It is a strange color which could probably throw most parents off - a very dark green/black due to the vegetable charcoal that is included - and, when I mix it with her formula, it turns it a soft gray.  We also have to be careful when feeding her because the black vegetable charcoal could stain if left on a garment too long.  So I have bibs just for feeding her the Colic Calm bottles twice a day (morning bottle and night time bottle).

Anyway, I didn't  know if Colic Calm was making a difference or not.  I did notice that it helped her poop better and more productively with less strain (the soy formula was making her poops a bit more firm and hard to eliminate - won't she love this post later in life??).  But I wasn't sure about anything else.

Well, we ran out on Friday and the difference is undeniable!  She has woken up more often during the night, she has grumped more in the evenings before bed...there is just a change.  I desperately ordered more on Saturday but they won't receive the order until today - I hope they fill it today!  I even checked where they were located to try and determine when the CC would be at our doorstep.  They are in Long Beach, CA so hopefully that give us an advantage since we aren't across the country.  I was so desperate over the weekend that I posted on several message boards asking if there was anyone local that had an unopened bottle...no luck.  I even checked CraigsList.  No luck.  I cannot WAIT for our supply of CC to get here!  I am hoping it arrives before H and I head to Louisville on Thursday.

So, that leads me to my topic for tomorrow - H and I flying together (without Daddy) to Louisville for the first time.  If you have any tips, please leave them below.  I am also going to do some research online (what's new, right?).  I am excited and nervous at the same time.

So little H is growing tall and lean.  She loves playing skydive with Daddy - a new game where Daddy lifts her in the air - her natural reflexes has her arching her back in true skydiving fashion.  Daddy floats her around in the air and then tells her to pop her parachute.  Then he straightens her out and lands her on  her feet.  It is so cute and she just smiles the whole time.

She LOVES to stand (assisted, of course).  Her legs are SOOO strong.  T had her "walking" yesterday by holding her under her arms.  She would lean forward and then instinctually take a step forward.  It was pretty cool.

She is cooing and talking a lot now.  It is so sweet.  That's how she wakes up in the morning...cooing to her mobile over her crib.  She is still moving all over the crib when she sleeps and still lands in the same corner, bumping her head on the rail (or getting her feet stuck) - bumpers vs no bumpers...I am still on the fence.

I am really looking forward to my whole family meeting her over Easter weekend.  We will definitely miss Daddy but he will get to have some good quality, one-on-one time with Tay - which I believe Tay really needs (by the way, Ms. Tay finally got her ears pierced!).  It all works out perfect!

2 comments:

Maharry Balls said...

Did you get the link I sent you about the bumpers?! It was for the vinyl ones I was telling you about.

I'm so excited you'll be going home this week!!! Hope you have a great time and let's plan something when you get back...I miss you guys already!

Angela Cory said...

As far as flying w/ Hayden, your nerves are going to be picked up by her. Do not be surprise. When I flew to Vegas w/ Lance I HAD to make myself calm down and THINK that he would do great, just so he didn't pick up on the anxiety. Have ONLY the stuff you need for her in the diaper bag that way you don't have to sift through things to look for a favorite toy/bottle/wipe etc. I packed a few toys that he liked looking at and his food. I made sure they were within easy reach in the bag, so you don't get flustered trying to dig for something when she is crying. Give her a bottle/pacifier before you take off and when landing to help with ear pressure. I also didn't carry my purse. I put my ID and tickets in his bag. If she likes a baby carrier, I was told that comes in handy to put the baby in for the airport and even while on the plane. Lance never used one, so I didn't want to try something new. Make sure you have 2-3 feeding more prepared in case of a delay and a few extra diapers. You guys will be great. Lance was awesome during the flight. It was harder on me than him. Positive thoughts.