Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, March 13, 2010

As you all know, Hayden has had a time with gas and reflux (I am sure she will love that I posted this in my blog when she is 16!).  I have made it a MISSION to find a way to make her more comfortable so that she doesn't have to deal with the pain anymore.  There has to be a way.  Dr E (her pediatrician) kept saying that, if nothing else works, it will just pass.  But I couldn't just wait around and let her suffer if there were other things that could help.  So I took it upon my google-self to look for possible solutions.  While I was at it, I looked for something that might help her sleep more comfortably through the night.  The following talks about products we have tried, products I have ordered and products I feel have worked...

For her pain (reflux and gas), we have tried Zantac (a generic version) that she took twice a day but that didn't seem to do much and she certainly didn't like the taste.  But, since it wasn't doing much to control her reflux, Dr E switched her to Prevacid Solutabs.  These are a little harder to administer but we have really gotten the hang of it.  AND not only does it work, she really likes the taste of it.  She laps it up when we put the syringe in her mouth.  She gets a half a tab twice a day.

For the gas, we have tried (and are still occasionally using) Mylicon drops.  I have started putting it in her formula for most feedings to help before it hurts.  And it seems to be working.  But T has a good point, how do I know what's working?  The reason he says that is because I have changed other things as well.  We have gone from Infamil Sobee (Soy formula) to Similac Infomil (Soy formula) to see if the change in brand would make a difference.  I do like the texture of the Similac better and it seems to mix better than Infamil. 

Along the same lines, I have started to premix the formula with water in a pitcher with a whisk versus shaking the bottles at the time of feedings.  I put the premixed versions in the fridge.  This is certainly a bigger pain in the butt but it definitely does eliminate the "bubble" factor which probably does contribute to her gas issues.

Further, I have added a bottle warmer to the mix.  I had been giving her room temperature bottles but, with the bottle warmer, she has the whole "warm milk" effect.  I have noticed that she drinks more and she drinks it more comfortably.  The only thing challenging about this new product is "getting to know it."  Even the directions tell you to play with the amount of water you put on the heating element until you find the right temperature for the amount in the bottle.  I am slowly figuring out what works for the amounts we typically use - although H seems to be eating more lately (maybe because she is less full of gas??). 

Today I received Colic Calm after ordering it online the other day.  I have heard REALLY great things about it - the weird thing is that it is BLACK in color and can stain!!  That's a real bummer.  But it is all natural and can't hurt (only help or do nothing at all).  The color kinda freaked me out when I dispensed it into the syringe.  But I added it to her formula tonight so we will see what happens.  It is supposed to really help with the gas, colic and reflux.  I don't know...only what I read.  So we will see.

Sleeping through the night??  Well, not yet.  She still wakes up through the night to eat.  But it was getting even worse where she was waking up because either she was having gas pains or she broke out of her swaddle.  We have a few kiddopotamus swaddles...the only one that half way works is the one I received at a shower or bought - can't remember which one.  Anyway, she is a little Houdini...she can get an arm or her legs out, which I'm sure feels cold PLUS makes her have the falling reflex that all babies have which then wakes her up. 

So, yep, google search D takes it upon myself to look for something better.  I ordered a Woombie.  It gives her the flexibility to move her arms a bit without escaping or having the startling "falling" reflex that wakes her up.  Product freak?  Maybe!  Determined Mom who needs a night of sleep - YES!!

Kiddopotamus:
Photobucket

Woombie
Photobucket

Look clausterphobic??  To me too!  But this is supposed to be heaven for babies...we shall see...

So we shall see how this all plays out.  It may be that her digestive system just matures and she just decides to sleep through the night and that none of the products contributed.  But I will tell myself that the products I ordered made the difference.  How else would I justify the money I have spent (out of my own "allowance")??  But she is totally worth it. 

I always heard that having a child is a love that you can't even explain.  A bigger love than you have ever known.  This is more true than I can describe.  I never thought I would be one who would have a baby and feel that way...but I do...beyond words.  And I couldn't be happier or more in love...

Pics for the close:
What?  You want to see my belly?
Photobucket

Ok!
Photobucket

Tummy time!  The TV holds her interest and makes her WANT to hold up her head.  She has really gotten great at holding her head up...all the time!  And she loves "standing" on my legs while I hold her under her arms.  She even grumps a little when I try to sit her down.  She wants to stand and hold up her own head.  I am so proud of what a big girl she is!
Photobucket

Ready for our walk this evening - went to the park with T and Tay
Photobucket

I'm ready Daddy!
Photobucket

Beautiful big sis!!
Photobucket

0 comments: