Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

You know, it's always something.  Whether it is the theory that bubble baths can give babies urinary tract infections, babies playing in bouncies can cause them to be bowl legged, or that a baby who glances at TV could become autistic.  And then there is the biggy...SIDS.  And, of course the prime suspect of SIDS is a baby laying on their belly to sleep.  Supposedly it could create a pocket where a baby can breathe in too much carbon dioxide and then stop breathing.

But here is something to think about.  Most people my age and even 10 years younger than me (per my husband) slept on their bellies when they were babies.  Now that babies are not recommended to sleep on their bellies, we now must incorporate "tummy time" during the day to help them learn to lift their heads.  So what changed? 

Who knows but that is the way it always is...new up and coming scientists, pediatricians and research lead to new results that make the past look abusive.  How can we ever forgive our parents for laying us on our bellies to sleep - risking our lives in the process?  You know what?  They thought they were doing the right thing - the doctors at that time even confirmed that they were.  If the baby spit up during the night and they were on their backs, they could choke on their spit up and...well....stop breathing.

These days people are so obsessed with SIDS that motion detectors placed under the crib mattress is a huge business.  I admit that we have one and I admit that it does ease my mind.  It detects the slightest motion on the mattress.  You can literally watch the green light flash at each breath H makes.  There is so much controversy over side sleeping, cosleeping, crib bumpers, blankets, stuffed animals, etc.  it is hard to keep up with it all.

I admit that I have been swept up in the SIDS craze.  I am certainly not saying that SIDS is anything to take lightly.  My sister in law and her husband knew someone who's baby died from SIDS at four months.  I honestly cannot imagine losing nugget now or ever.  So I have done everything I can to protect her from the dangers of SIDS.  We keep her room cool, her crib clear of anything other than a fitted sheet, and a motion AND audio monitor on any time she is in her crib.  I am constantly adjusting her swaddle so that it won't go over her face and I am always checking on her breathing - especially during naps.

But here's my admission.  During the day I do allow H to sleep on her stomach for her naps.  Of course I keep a very close eye on her and have all monitors up all the way.  But the fact is, she sleeps hella better on her stomach than she does on her back.  I swear, if I felt more comfortable to let her sleep on her belly at night, I think she would sleep all through the night with no interruption.  But I just can't get past the scare.  I just can't take the chance.

Anyway, just a random train of thought.

On another note...exciting night for T and I...H laughed for the first time!!  And we both saw it at the same time.  She was in her swing and I was "getting" her feet by kissing them when she would swing my way.  She chuckled.  And there was no denying it!!  We both looked at each other and became giddy!!  She actually laughed for the first time.  It was so incredible.  I am on a high.  I just loved every minute of it and I can't wait to hear that beautiful laugh again!!

0 comments: