Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Girl's Day = Success

So, T had to go help his sister move into their apartment and I was left to watch the kids for the day.  I think he was concerned with the handful he was leaving me with and tried to set a timeframe that he could help so that he could help me.  But it turned out to be just fine!  I thought for sure a six year old and a two and a half month old would be a bit more than I could handle on my own but I guess I wasn't aware of what wonderful kids we have!  And they are wonderful!!

We started our day with a quick stop at Target for some toiletry and formula needs - Tay got a hula hoop and was quite the impressive hula hooper!!  It was interesting.  Where we would usually be very strict about doing the hula in Target (in other words, don't do it), I decided that, unless she was trying to steal something or kick someone in the shins, I was going to let a lot of things slide.  I wanted us all to have a fun time.  Not a time of picking on each other.

Our next stop was Bookmans.   Bookmans (for those of you who don't have one) is a resale book store.  I saw in the Tucson Weekly that they were going to have arts and crafts for kids today and thought that might be a fun activity for us to do.  I thought it was from 10 - 11 but I was wrong.  When we walked in, I asked the lady at the front counter where the arts and crafts set up was and she informed me that it started at 11.  Oh.  Oops.  You would think that this oversight would have left me flustered.  Not at all.  H, Tay and I went to the kids section and I read books that Tay picked out while feeding H her lunch bottle.  As usual, we attracted another little girl.  I don't know if she thought I worked there or what but she came over to hang out with us and listen to the stories we were reading.  And, as usual when it comes to other little germ infested rugrats, she started touching H on the head and offering to hold her if I needed someone to.  Umm.  Thanks.  I'm good.  And don't touch her again.  Um ok?

Anyway, she moved on when her dad (where was he anyway) came over and whisked her away with a stack of girly mags and science fiction books under one arm (ok, I might be kidding on one of those).  Tay and I decided to take H to the potty to clean up her stinky butt and allow Tay some time to empty herself as well.  When we came back out, we noticed that the craft area was set up.  I think Tay was the first to arrive.  It was a really neat little set up and she had a good time.  H did really well, not a peep out of her except small laughs when I paid her attention.  We will need to keep our eye out for more activities at the Bookmans.  It was a great "attention occupier."

Photobucket

Hayden watching her big sis
Photobucket

Losing interest
Photobucket

What are you doing Mommy?
Photobucket

Stupid flash
Photobucket

That's better
Photobucket

The garden sign that Tay made
Photobucket

The butterflies she made (she will be the first to tell you that she was the only kid that got TWO butterflies!)
Photobucket

After Bookmans, we headed to the most popular lunch destination there is for a six year old - McDonald's.  Although McDonald's makes me puke in my mouth, I felt it fitting for girls day to go there.  The old guy at the counter was a lot of fun and put Tay's name on the ticket to be called out when the order was ready.  She was such a big girl and helped me out since I had the honker of a stroller in there.  I just knew the stroller would be easier and "cleaner" than just taking the seat and having to sit it on the floor or something. 

We ate inside so that she could play on the obstacle course thing-y while she ate.  She would have a bite of chicken nugget (or whatever nugget it really is) and then run over to the big, plastic tube deal-y and play.  Hayden just sat by enjoying her first (and I am sure not the last) trip to McDonald's.  She watched intently at my mouth as I choked down a couple of fries and about two bites of the Big 'N Tasty.  It wasn't all that big and it really was far from tasty!

After about an hour of eat and play, we piled back into the truckster and headed to the local Marana park up the road from our house.  They were having a Founder's Day celebration that I heard was actually pretty cool. 

It certainly had a lot to offer!  There were bouncing castles and slides, booths, face painting, concerts/magical acts, all the usual festival fare - cotton candy, indian fry bread (equivalent to elephant ears back home), kettle corn, hot dogs, nachos, pizza, those kinds of healthy options.  We started in the bouncy castle area.  $10 for a bracelet for unlimited use on the bouncy things.  She only went on two.  And then she was done.  Well, sure it was $10 and I would have hoped it would have bought me more but, we really don't do this all the time so whatever!

Next we headed further into the park area.  She played on the moonkey bars and slide thing and then we headed out to find the cotton candy.  Succes was to be had by the big, portable outdoor stage area.  Of course, because of my background (and my sickness), I checked out the speaker system, the staging and the lighting.  It truly is a sickness, my friends.  At the cotton candy booth, we bought a bag of blue cotton and a water balloon "yoyo" thing.  Then I picked up some caramel kettle corn at the neighboring booth.

Us girls took our goodies to a spot on the lawn and copped a squat.  We listened to the band play the remainder of their set and just set quietly eating our snacks.  It was about at that time that I realized how wonderful these girls are!  H was asleep (later waking up gently to eat - no drama) and Tay was just being very cool and chilled.  We sat there, not really talking, just observing the going ons around us.  It was peaceful and enjoyable.  Tay is growing up so much and is becoming more and more of an awesome little lady. 

After feeding H and getting our fill of the snacks, we picked everything up and headed back to the center of the park.  Tay wanted to get her face painted.  A true mark that you have been at a festival!  The line was very long and very slow.  But I decided to wait in it with H to hold Tay's spot while she went off to play on the jungle gym.  It all worked out and, minus getting into stories about the lady and her kids behind me who were all UP in my business versus giving me my "personal" space, we headed home shortly after her face was adorned with a vine of roses.

Once we got home, we were all beat.  Even H.  So Tay kicked back with a movie while I started dinner.  I knew that T would be exhausted after a full day of moving heavy furniture and boxes so I made him his favorite spaghetti sauce which I combined with a three cheese tortellini.  The rest of the night was pretty uneventful and everyone fell asleep pretty early other than me.  I started this blog last night but got sidetracked when Tay wanted to cuddle with me.  She ended up falling asleep with her arm around me.  It was very sweet.  Especially when I reflected on her giving me a big hug when we got home and telling me that this was the best girls day ever.  Sure makes that measly $10 bracelet look like nothing!!  It was all worth it!

I must say, I was pretty proud of myself and my ability to juggle a six year old and a two and a half month old by myself at multiple locations for an entire day.  But it really wasn't a drama at all and, actually, quite enjoyable!  Maybe it is my patience that has slowly built up over time with having Tay around since she was little.  Or maybe it was just one of those lucky days.  Or maybe, and I think this is to be true, these girls are the best out there and I am lucky enough to have them in my life.  I think that is it, truth be told.

The remaining pics from our day:
Pics taken by Tay
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yep, she took that one of herself!

Photobucket

I took these
Photobucket

Photobucket

A super nice family took this one of us
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Exhaustion kicks in!
Photobucket

Girls' Day = SUCCESS!

0 comments: