Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Week in Review

After nine months of being pregnant with, what I thought was, a boy - announcing our beautiful baby girl Hayden Grace.  She decided to wait to be born until after Christmas Day - December 26 at 1:17 AM.  She came out as if she were on a slip and slide at 7 lbs 14 oz and 20.5 inches long.  My instant reaction was shock and a feeling that none of this was real.  But, by the time the wheelchair made it to the recovery room, I was in love with my new baby girl and couldn't imagine ever wanting a boy or ever NOT wanting a baby.  Not just any baby.  A Hayden baby.  I couldn't stop looking at her.

We are now a week and 3 days into our new life together and it has already been a learning experience with ups and downs.  It's hard to bring home a human being who has no form of communication other than crying when they need something...and then trying to figure out what that something is.  To top it off, I had to learn a lot of other things that are very foreign to me - breastfeeding, diaper changing, holding a newborn, etc.

But, other than sleep deprivation, painful (and persistent) breastfeeding, explosive poop and projectile vomit, things are going pretty well.  Hayden is so incredible and only cries when something is bothering her - hunger, poopy diaper, gas, etc.  She is already reacting to stimuli and giving us knowing looks.  Ok, maybe that's coming from a biased, in love Mommy but it seems to be true.  She is strong and loves belly time already.  She does little baby push ups and tries to lift her head.  She's so awesome.

I would totally go through a play-by-play of each day we've been home but the time has completely run together and I have no idea what all has happened in this whirlwind of a week.  But I did want to start her new blog with an entry before the two week mark rolls around.  Each week I will mark milestones that she may have reached and any other highlights in her growing life.

I am not one to believe in organized religion, as everyone already knows.  But, if I did believe in heaven, Hayden would be the closest thing to heaven for me.  I have never loved so deeply that it borders obsession!  I can't take my eyes off of her and I adore holding her close to me - her belly on mine.  She's amazing and I feel lucky every second of every minute of every day to have her as mine.  Add this awesome new little life to the amazing husband and wonderful stepdaughter that I am so lucky to have and you will see that my life is beyond complete.  It is beautiful.

Looks like boob buffet is about to open for dinner so I will have to end this entry here.  I am looking forward to sharing the adventure of our new addition and the wild ride of parenthood with you.  Wish me lots of luck as I get through the supposed toughest part - the first 6 weeks.  Counting down - four and a half weeks to go! 

What is Hayden doing?
* Belly time - baby push ups, trying to hold head up
* Cooing to Ellie the Elephant
* Enjoying her bouncy seat - especially when it is on vibrate
* Observing the world around her with the intensity of her Daddy
* Practicing breastfeeding with Mommy - we make a good team!
* Having lots of gas, uncomfortable at times
* Nights are irregular - there have been times I have gotten 4 hours sleep, last two nights has been about 2.5 to 3 hours.
* Developing tears when she cries - breaks my heart
* Still has dark hair that continues to grow, dark eyebrows and blue eyes

Newborn
Photobucket

1 week, 3 days
Photobucket

0 comments: