Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, January 18, 2010

Week 3

Although I haven't posted in quite a while and certainly not on Hayden's three week birthday, I have been online a lot lately. Mostly google searching Hayden's symptoms that have been making her scream in pain. My instinct was telling me gas pains and that seems to be what it is. Hayden can blow a 9" hole in her shorts with the man farts she has which could be seen as funny. But the laughter never starts because her crying and screaming overrides the funny butt noises.

She is still on her reflux medication and we found out today that we can still give her the Mylicon drops for her gas. They really seem to help - or maybe it is just a coincidence that it calms her down and puts her to sleep. Whatever helps her be more comfortable is all that matters to me.

Other than that, we are all doing pretty well. The nights vary with sleep but I am getting pretty used to the routine. I try to get some sleep between 9 and midnight while she is sleeping but T is still up. Then I feel a tad more refreshed and ready for the rest of the night.

We are still working on the breastfeeding. About a day or so ago I think my nips finally produced a thin layer of steel to protect me from little Ms. Piranha! It certainly isn't as painful as it started out being. But the big news is my new toy that is so awesome! I was fitted for a breast pump at the hospital. They even did a demo on me so I knew how to use it. Today was my first day of pumping - I pumped twice and ended up with a total of four oz - and it was AWESOME! It doesn't hurt at all and totally easy to do. Other than having to fine tune my timing so that I don't pump before she feeds, I am feeling very confident in pumping! These are things that make a new mom so excited like a new sports car would make a teen driver so excited!

I did learn that I should definitely use both horns at the same time (in other words, pump both girls at the same time). I tried doing just one for the first round and realized that my two girls are tied together in some ways. When one is being pumped the other feels like it should perform as well. After soaking my sleeve, I realized that a double pump should be used as...a double pump. Look ma, both hands!

I do want to look into those bras that hold the horns. Hey, I like that nickname for the girls...horns! Actually, the horns refer to the cups that go over the utter. Anyway, I would like to be hands-free so that I can read, type (blog, google search, etc.) or do anything other than holding the horns on the utters.

So, according to "them", things begin improving/getting better/etc. at about the six week mark. That would mean that we are over half way there! Nothing has taken away the love I feel for Hayden...nothing ever could. And T has been an AMAZING help with her as well as around the house. I would have jumped off the roof by now if not for him. He has kept the house looking so nice and just the way I would if I could do any of my house work. But doing house work is VERY difficult when you have a cutie britches on your boob. I am getting through laundry, though, and I have all kinds of plans to get everything else done as well. Patience, I suppose.

I had a beer tonight. I was told by many, including my Step-MIL, that a beer will increase your milk supply. Isn't that a hoot? Talk about a full circle! I am pumping to gain more freedom and to be able to have a beer (or more than "a") at some point soon...and a beer will help me get to that goal! Go figure!! It was absolutely delicious! After not having a beer or much of anything carbonated in so long, it was a bit rough going down but it was amazingly yummy!!

Hayden's first bath in the whale tub (now that her belly button is healed) - the pics look like she was enjoying her bath...don't be fooled!
Photobucket



Photobucket


Photobucket



One morning when we took a nap...
Photobucket


Photobucket



3 week picture
Photobucket


Photobucket


Keep positive thoughts coming our way that Hayden's gas gets better soon. It is so miserable for her...makes me sad...but I read it is VERY common in newborns and babies so she is another statistic there...

0 comments: