Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

2 Week Update

The battle of the reflux continues but it is definitely getting better.  So is our understanding of her and our new routine.  Hayden and I have been sleeping in the living room - her in her bouncy seat or swing and me on the couch.  Doc recommended that we keep her on an incline while she sleeps so that's why she is not in her crib like we had hoped.  But, as soon as we knock out this reflux completely, we hope to have her in her crib.  I am sure some are wondering why we don't put the swing/bouncy seat in our bedroom so that I can sleep in the bed next to my husband like normal people do.  As often as she wakes up throughout the night to feed, I would rather T get his much needed sleep since he has to work all day.  And I guess I am supposed to nap when she does but that usually doesn't pan out.  Especially with all that needs to be done around the house and the other things I would rather be doing than wasting two hours sleeping.  Sounds crazy, huh?  But, come evening, I am out like a light!

The past week has been trying and challenging as we have slowly gotten to know her and her communication.  I think I am starting to know her hungry cry - or at least my girls do!  I can feel the gates open on the milk supply when that hungry cry begins.  It is the strangest feeling when your milk "lets down".  It is a very bizarre "pins and needles" feeling that isn't all that pleasant.  Sometimes even hurts a little and ends with a feeling that your girls are going to explode. 

There have been other cries as well.  The burpy/gassy cry which usually takes place around 9 or 10 at night.  The reflux cry that usually happens right before we give her the meds in the morning.  This cry is becoming less and less as the days go on.  The fighting sleep cry that doesn't last very long because she is asleep before she finishes.  T explained to me that ALL babies cry - that's what they do.  But she doesn't cry ALL the time.  Only when she needs something.  Otherwise she is a very peaceful baby and quite happy when she is awake and looking around.

She is sleeping for about 2 to 3 hours at a time at night.  She wakes up to feed and, after one side, she is usually right back down again.  My milk has definitely beefed up supply based on her demand.  I can usually fill her up on one side.  The challenge is still the soreness and the pain associated with the feedings.  I literally cringe when she wakes up knowing I am going to have to put that there.  I am still taking 800 mg of Ibuprofen twice a day to help take the edge off of the pain and I am liberally applying the "butter" where I am supposed to in order to "soothe" the pain.  But it still is very uncomfortable which tends to take away from the "bonding" that is supposed to happen.  I end up watching TV or looking at the computer in order to distract myself from the pain.  I still talk to her lovingly from time to time but mostly I try to take my mind off the pain.

Which leads me to my next step - the pump.  I am hoping to purchase one from the hospital (I can get the same high quality pump I registered for at a lower rate as well as a 15% discount they gave me while I was there) this week.  There have been some that have suggested I not pump until the 4 week mark in order to get a good handle on the supply and demand of baby.  But I do believe that I have plenty of milk to give so I don't think pumping will be an issue this early on.  Especially since she has been getting satisfied off of one side during the day.  I can pump the other while she is feeding.  I am looking forward to pumping for the following reasons:

  • give my girls a break from little Ms. Piranha
  • give my brain a break at night - T can feed her on weekends
  • allow me more flexibility during the day - I can go to the grocery or run any other errand without worrying about being home at a certain time to feed or have to feed her in the car.  I can just take a bottle with me or leave her with T and he can feed her.  The flexibility is a HUGE selling point for me.
  • I want to get back to the gym
  • I can enjoy some adult beverages from time to time and not have to worry about a 2 hour window
  • allows me to visit other people's houses and not have to whip anything out when she starts to cry - other than a prepared bottle!
  • Freedom
  • I hear that pumping actually hurts less than a Piranha sucking baby!  =]  SOLD!
Today was Hayden's 2 week doctor's appointment.  She did phenomenal.  The medicine we are giving her for reflux must really be working.  Her weight is up to 9 lbs, 1 oz (it was 7 lb 11 oz at the last visit last week) and her length is 22 inches.  This is a great sign!  She is average weight which I am very happy about - I don't want her to get too heavy.  And it is amazing that she has grown 2 whole inches over the last two weeks.  But I certainly have noticed the change.  She feels heavier and longer to me.

A funny thing happened - and I think this is part of the initiation into motherhood - on our way from the room where they take her weight to the room where the exam would take place.  Hayden has to be naked to be weighed and this includes her diaper.  When her diaper was removed, it was obvious a clean up was needed.  The nurse wrapped some thin paper around Hayden's potty areas and told me to put the new diaper on in the exam room (said it would be "easier" that way).  Weellll, Hayden wasn't done with her business and ended up peeing ALL over me and the floor when we made it to the exam room.  Some even went in my shoe.  Yum.  Luckily, her pee doesn't smell...at all.  And it has dried since.  I have to say that I found it pretty funny that she peed all over me.  And there was quite a puddle in the floor as well!  How does such a little baby have so much pee???  Well, geez, how does such a little baby have such loud, raunchy farts and man sized burps?  I don't know but I can say I am certainly proud!

The doctor was very happy with how she is progressing.  After the appointment, we had to go to the lab down the hall to get some blood work done on Hayden.  I hated that she had to have that done.  As much as I hate having my blood drawn, I really hated the thought of her having her blood drawn.  BOO!  While we waited, I had to feed her in the restroom.  Very awkward.  I guess some women would have hooter hider'd the feeding in the lobby but I'm just not that comfortable yet (and may never be).  Finally they called us back and pricked her little heel.  She did great!!  A few small cries and then she was out again.  My little sleeping beauty!

T and I decided to chance a lunch out with her today.  We went to Pei Wei and she slept through the entire lunch.  She didn't wake up to feed until we got home.  Then it was game on!  She is sleeping now although I can tell by her grunts and noises that a meal is coming up soon.  Yep, meal time.

2 weeks and counting:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

0 comments: